In March 2021, SOS launched a program we are very proud of, The Butterfly Program.
This program addresses the needs of BIPOC girls aged 12-15 and their families.
As the nation wakes up to the issues that plague underserved communities of color,
there has been an increased focus on young minority boys.
Our young BIPOC girls have been severely overlooked and Supporting Our Society has designed a program to focus on the disparity, trauma and challenges they face.
Our focus is to provide culturally based communication and unbiased mentoring to the targeted demographic, in a safe and culturally enriched environment. In addition, we are introducing them to culturally sensitive activities they may not have access to.
The outcome goals of The Butterfly Program are as follows:
- Improve grades and school attendance
- Reduce disciplinary infractions
- Prevent police interactions
- Discourage gang participation
- Improve safety awareness
- Embrace cultural awareness
- Encourage healthy behaviors
- Promote self-love and self-respect
- Participate in a youth led project